Date conversion

I have a Date column in my requirement column name is "last_updated" and data format is  "January 8, 2018". 
I need to get this date as "01/08/2018" or  "mm/dd/yyyy"  

Is there any alternate to convert the date in any other format?

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Kondala Rao Kandimalla  -- The goal here would be to ensure that Incorta has the column "vaishu.vaish1.Last_Updated" defined as a Date or a Timestamp.  Is this column defined as such?  Assuming it is, you will have full control over how you want to display this on your dashboards.  See the screenshot attached for the formatting options you'd be provided on your dashboard.

Reply Like
      • Fahim
      • Inmar
      • Fahim
      • 7 days ago
      • Reported - view

Dan Brock  I understand that Dan. That's really helpful. 

What if we want to have the date formatted even before our clients/users can use it ( we don't want them to go through that process you just showed above. Just drag and drop) how can we make it happen? Please help. I am reading up on formula columns as we speak. Thanks!

Reply Like
    • Fahim You can create formula columns in your business views that output these fields as strings which can be formatted however you like using the formatDate() function.  Would that work?

Reply Like
      • Fahim
      • Inmar
      • Fahim
      • 6 days ago
      • Reported - view

Dan Brock  That's what I think too. Let me try it and get back to you. Thanks!

Reply Like
    • Fahim It's important to note that if you do this, your end users will not be able to perform any calculations, sum them in tables, or use these values as chart metrics--it would be for display only. Please be sure that is what you are looking to do.

Reply Like
      • Fahim
      • Inmar
      • Fahim
      • 6 days ago
      • Reported - view

Dustin Basil Yeah, our end product is just to look like excel sheets. No graphs of anything. The user searches on the search bar and sees the values in rows and columns, that's it. Hopefully it will work. 

Reply Like
    • Fahim Ok, so dates should be as easy as formatDate(SALES.SALES.TIME_ID, "MM-dd-yyyy") (or whatever you're looking to do). I'm working on a currency example now. Might be a bit challenging because we don't expose Java's number/currency APIs for that in our formula builder at the moment.

Reply Like 1
Like Follow
  • 6 days agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 103Views
  • 5 Following