cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Gauge Ranges for non-percent base

marcpaige
Astronaut

I am trying to get a solid gauge to work with a number range. Here is the setup:

min = 150, max = 220

first range = 96; red, second range = 95;orange, third range = 90; green in this order.

The value being returned from the measure is 203. I expect the color of the gauge to be orange since 203/220 = 92 which is > 90 but < 95. The actual display shows red. Reversing the order of the ranges shows only green.

How do I use the range Stop(%) values to make this work?

4 REPLIES 4

marcpaige
Astronaut

BTW, this is also a problem for the Gauge insight. It is slightly different, however. The problem with the gauge is that the Stop(%) values need to be calculated precisely with the range-to-value ratio. 

JoeM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @marcpaige - I just fiddled around with it on my end and found that the logic behavior for gauge ranges is inconsistent if built in descending order. It seems to function best when built in ascending:

Stop % 90 = Green

Stop % 95 = Orange

Stop % 96 = Red

An additional observation is that when using the default colors Incorta provides, the Stop % represents the deepest saturation of that color. In this case, if using the Incorta colors, 93% would be something of a green-orange gradient mix. However, choosing the custom color removes the 'gradient' behavior between stop %s.

In your case, based on my recommendation, it would only show green. As you mentioned in the follow-up comment, the percent is representative of (203)/(220-150) and produces 76%, which would fit the logic that any value being less than 90% should be green.

If you want to add a non-stoplight color, maybe you could add a blue or gray color for anything lower than 90 and then leave green to stop at 95, orange to stop at 96, and red to stop at 97.

Thanks, Joe. I will play with the order. I will look, but do you know if there is a plan to allow reordering the gauge ranges via drag and drop? In this particular case, I have to do quite a bit of work to reorder by creating additional ranges and deleting prior ones in order to reorder the stack.

JoeM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adding  @Prince here for visibility on the ability to rearrange conditions.