cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when multiple users are editing the same schema together?

Incortaconsulta
Cosmonaut

I hope you're all doing great! I wanted to bring up a topic that often pops up when we're working on the same schema at the same time. So, here's the question: What happens when multiple users are editing the same schema together? Who's version actually gets saved in the end?

Well, here's the deal: The version that gets saved is the one from the user who hits that save button last. Yep, you heard it right! The changes made by the person who saves last will be stored and shown as the latest version of the schema.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "What if we end up messing things up or overwriting each other's changes?" That's a valid concern! To prevent chaos and keep things in order, it would be awesome if we could have some sort of read/write lock in place. This lock would put a temporary halt on anyone else from making changes while another user is already making theirs. It's like giving each person their own space to work without stepping on each other's toes.

So, my fellow community members, I hope this sheds some light on how we handle schema editing and version control. If you have any other questions or cool ideas to share, please don't hesitate to jump into the conversation.

Cheers,

Ram

3 REPLIES 3

Prince
Employee
Employee

Hi @Incortaconsulta ,

That is correct on older versions of Incorta, thanks for sharing. On recent versions (5.X+), Incorta does have drafting and write locks, once the 1st user saves a draft, the schema becomes locked until the draft version is saved, only then the 2nd user would be able to start editing the schema.

Prince_0-1688540404266.png

This requires that the 1st user creates a draft to lock the schema.

In addition, now there's also schema versioning to roll back changes too 😉

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.06.51 AM.png

Incortaconsulta
Cosmonaut

Hi Price - thanks for the information, just wondering what if the draft version never gets saved? then also it will not allow other users to edit the schema? or the other users can edit after a time period?

When you edit a physical schema in the draft mode, you block other users from updating the physical schema until any of the following happens:

• You promote the draft changes to a saved version.
  • You sign out from Incorta.
  • You close the browser (after 5 minutes from closing the browser).
  • The session ends.