cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sort by in a dashboard prompt - limitations?

RADSr
Captain
Captain

I'm adding a day of week prompt to a dashboard, which works fine, but I am not able to add the obvious sort column to put the days of the week in the correct calendar order.    Both day of week name and number are coming from the same table on the same physical schema ( the latter of which seems to be the only limitation mentioned in the documentation ).

Friday is supposed to be a great day of the week - what am I missing? 

sortby.gif

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --
11 REPLIES 11

amit_kothari
Employee
Employee

@RADSr  Pls log a ticket

dylanwan
Employee
Employee

I tried and I was not able to reproduce the issue.  The prompt sort is working in 2022.7.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.43.43 PM.png

 They are sorted correctly.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.47.00 PM.png

 I also have a recording to show you the details.

https://incorta.zoom.us/rec/share/ggdZxljf8kwPryxZL_EtnrJzhdSGcjkMK6sHS-oCvmaapCvNsONafw2RJPV_0lxS.U...
Passcode: Nbs!bD1B

@dylanwan  - Thanks - if you view the .gif in the original, that's what I tried to do, but am getting the red circle/slash when trying to add the sort column.   

I'll post support's answer when I get it.  

RADSr
Captain
Captain

I'm hopeful I'll be able to work with support today, but in the interim it gets weirder before it gets better.

*One* of the fields can be dropped on the sort field.  It's nonsensical and doesn't resolve my issue, but it seems like the dialog will let *something* in that box.   The field it will allow in is also on the same table and view ( physical and business schema respectively ).   The other field I tried in this .gif was using a formula in the business schema.  I've also tried dragging a formula directly into the prompt property w/ no luck.

Stay tuned!

PromptSortPartDeux.gif

RADSr
Captain
Captain

There is an episode of the HBO series Deadwood ( highly recommend - not for the kids though! ) entitled Advances, None Miraculous.

Given the similarities in vocabulary between my trying to figure this out and ... virtually all the vocabulary in Deadwood the reference seems appropriate.   The episode title as well. 

The good:  I can sort my day names!  Huzzah!   Turns out if I manage the data set and pick the day number from the physical schema it will let me sort just fine.

The bad: 1) That's not documented anywhere I could find and 2) with that functionality I will need to allow any dashboard author who wants to sort day names by day number access to the physical schema.

So - the ticket is still open while support checks to see if this is expected behavior.  I'm unstuck for the moment, and we are roaring towards a three-day weekend with the wind at our backs!

RADSr_3-1662068164992.png