05-25-2023 10:36 AM - edited 05-26-2023 11:11 AM
I'd like to get feedback/additions/improvements on the below:
I'm working on capturing some notes as I'm in the midst of an upgrade adventure and think I may make a document for myself/Community/support to use when doing this kind of work.
Text from my initial plan below, but note that I'm combining two ideas because I've used them in conjunction - 1) upgrade and 2) cluster cloning
My initial ask is for things to include ( pitfalls, gotchas, tick lists, etc. ) when doing something like this.
=================== UPGRADE PLAN SAMPLE ==========================
Celebratory drinks and dinner!
05-26-2023 01:37 PM
For the Inspector question, you should resolve all Sev 1 issues before upgrading for every instance that you upgrade. I'm not sure how you are defining "clone" here. Once a clone is created and you start to work with it in any way, it is no longer a clone. If you truly want a clone, then you should wait to create it until after you have done the work of upgrading the environment from which it is to be cloned.
05-26-2023 01:48 PM
Now that I read further, it looks like you are doing a manual cloning process by copying configuration down from Prod. I assume this is so that you can upgrade a cluster that looks as much like prod as possible.
You could use Incorta Cloud's cloning capability to create a separate copy of the prod cluster that is not dev. You would want to adjust any settings, like email, that you do not want to be active on that cluster. At that point, you could clear the sev 1 issues on the new cluster if they were not already cleared in Prod and then test the upgrade. Once you see that it works, you could drop this clone and proceed with upgrading Prod which should behave the same way. I think you would still want to upgrade your Dev cluster first before taking this approach.
I may be missing the point here but I thought I would share this idea as an alternative.
05-26-2023 02:53 PM
You've got the goal - what I did was request support clone the PROD environment into the DEV cluster ( retained the "-dev" cluster name ) and then asked that the "-dev" cluster be upgraded so I could compare DEV to PROD as identical code, different version clusters.
I am kind of surprised that I can upgrade directly from cloud admin if the sev 1 issues are that much of a potential problem. I'm not opposed to it, just surprised 😉
It looks like creating the clone on my own is pretty straightforward but only for clusters I own ( makes sense kind of ) - do you know how creating a clone for upgrading/testing/etc. plays with licensing for customers?