cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday! What piece of advice would you give to someone just starting their career?

KailaT
Employee Alumni
Employee Alumni

It's Throwback Thursday! 📼

Knowledge sharing is one of the reasons communities like ours exist but it doesn't just have to be about sharing technical information. Today, I encourage you to share your career advice. 

Tell us what of piece of advice would you give to someone just starting career?

For bonus points, search through that good ol' G-Drive and find a picture of you at the beginning of your career/ first job.

6 REPLIES 6

KailaT
Employee Alumni
Employee Alumni

My first job out of college was working as a Communications Manager for an Anheuser Busch Brewery. A piece of advice I would give to someone just starting out is to be receptive to all feedback, good or bad and don't be afraid to ask questions, even if it means popping in a question in a community forum. (*wink wink*}

KailaT_0-1649961678928.jpeg

JoeM
Community Manager
Community Manager

I could probably list 20 different things I would have said to the younger me. I would have said to my younger self:
"It's complicated to make something simple, and simple to make something complicated". When focused on a problem/issue, it's human nature to add to the underlying process. To this day, I have to pause and ask if I can "subtract".

RADSr
Captain
Captain

Mess up?  Fess up.

That's the rhyming version. 

Be a person and employee who people can trust and good people and employers will value you.

It won't always be easy and you will come across instances where it incurs some short term costs.   But you'll be a better person and professional for it.

** My "first job" picture is a tintype and probably wouldn't scan well   😉    

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --

JoeM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great guidance @RADSr!