cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday! What piece of advice would you give to someone just starting their career?

KailaT
Employee Alumni
Employee Alumni

It's Throwback Thursday! 📼

Knowledge sharing is one of the reasons communities like ours exist but it doesn't just have to be about sharing technical information. Today, I encourage you to share your career advice. 

Tell us what of piece of advice would you give to someone just starting career?

For bonus points, search through that good ol' G-Drive and find a picture of you at the beginning of your career/ first job.

6 REPLIES 6

KailaT
Employee Alumni
Employee Alumni

Great advice @RADSr. Haha I think you're off the hook for the picture!

LayeredDelay
Employee
Employee

I think my advice would be something I learned from a drum workshop many many years ago. I wish I could remember the dummer. Anyway, he would have students tell him that they didn't study other drummers as they wanted their own style and felt that would be lost if they studied other drummers. The teacher responded with, "you don't have any style, master the other styles. Your own flavor will naturally come out, but you need to learn from the others. You are a mix of the inspiration you draw from. You will always be unique, you cannot help it. We are not robots." So my advice is to learn from others old and young, those who are very different to you, from different disciplines as well. If a drummer, learn jazz, reggae, metal, rock, pop etc. Listen first and then you will have an interesting perspective. If you don't have people? Read books.