cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Query Expression

RADSr
Captain
Captain

The documentation ( link below ) says InQuery can be used either in an internal session variable or an InQuery filter operator and formula expression.

"What does this mean?" seems like a simple question, but there it is.   When I drag a formula into an insight filter InQuery isn't in the list of available functions and typing it in nets me a "not supported" message and a steadfast refusal to validate.

----- deviation from main subject ----

In the interim I'm also experimenting w/ creating a global variable with "query" and returning the list of values I want to filter ...   but also from the documentation:   

Global Variables that return a list of values are not functioning properly when referenced in MVs or individual filters.  

which I take to mean individual filters in insights ( ? ) 

------- circling back ------------

So if you were to define a list of high-margin products which you wanted to be the enterprise definition of high-margin products for filtering queries across tables and schemas which have product numbers in them what would be the best approach?    

My inner-Kimball has always balked at the "star schema is dead" line, is this a case where I need to model a single version of the product truth and include attributes such as this as formula column flags?  

https://docs.incorta.com/cloud/concepts-internal-query-expression

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --
2 REPLIES 2

anurag
Employee
Employee

@RADSr This video shows how to use inQuery operation to design your filter for the use case you mentioned.

Filter Top N Products by Sales
:
Use inQuery operator in applied filter to filter data in all the insights in the dashboard to filter by Top N products by Sales. N is a variable which takes inout from presentation variable in the dashboard.

https://youtu.be/-nVJQdU3KFo

RADSr
Captain
Captain

Thank you! 

I was trying to create the filter using a formula directly instead of filtering the column and using the drop-down inQuery.

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --