cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_cross
Employee Alumni
Employee Alumni

Introduction

Incorta can help map your custom map shapes to your transactional systems that drive your business. 

What you need to know before reading this article

Have a KML or KMZ file ready to be imported. If you are new to KML/KMZ creation and want to try it yourself, Youtube "custom kml file in google earth" for more information. 

Let's Go

Uploading and Schema Design with the Custom Map Shapes

Uploading KML/KMZ files is easy with Incorta. Click Data -> Local Data Files -> New -> Add Data Source -> Upload Data File/Folder. Drag in the KML/KMZ file(s) or folder containing multiple files.

Go into the schema you want to use the data in and select New -> Table -> Type: File System, Data Source: LocalFiles, File Type: Keyhole Markup Language, Union File: Click it if you need multiple custom shapes -> Browse -> Upload your files. 

Create a lookup table between your KML objects and the metrics you want to map. In my example below, the KML object table is SalesRegionMap, and the lookup table is State_SalesRegion_LKP. The metrics will be coming from the SalesOrderHeader table. This uses Incorta's OnlineStore sample schema. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 4.59.35 PM.png

Dashboard of the Custom Map Shapes

Here are the steps you would take to bring your custom shapes into a dashboard.

1. Select an existing dashboard or create a new dashboard for your insights
  2. Create a new visualization within the dashboard by clicking the + symbol in the upper right hand corner to add a new insight
  3. In the insight panel, select your data sources
  4. Choose Advanced Map as the insight type
  5. Select Geo Attribute
  6. From the KML table drag over the attribute that has the geometry data. In my case it was called Geometry. Then drag over any metrics you want to report on. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 5.09.07 PM.png

You end up with a dashboard with your custom sales regions, regulatory districts, or other endless possibilities. Below is the custom map I created using Google Earth and Incorta's advanced map features.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 4.54.23 PM.png

Related Material

Best Practices Index
Best Practices

Just here to browse knowledge? This might help!

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎09-29-2022 05:29 PM
Updated by: