cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduction

With the release of Incorta v2024.1, shapes have been introduced as a dashboarding component. While this might seem like a small capability, the implementation of this can launch dashboard designs to new heights. 

What you need to know before reading this article

Let's Go

Why shapes?

When creating insights in Incorta, we've provided robust formatting options to ensure your insight title, body, and layout are flexible. However, with the infinite need to configure outputs, shapes take formatting a step further by allowing a user to independently control the aesthetic of a dashboard without being subject to the limitations of the insight settings. Here are some basic examples:

• I have a title on my chart, but there is too much whitespace between the title and the chart. Now, you can create an insight without a title and use the text component to place it more precisely. 
  • I can set the background color of my insight in my dashboard, but I want to unify elements with a shared background. 

Top: Background Formatting, Bottom: Shape FormattingTop: Background Formatting, Bottom: Shape Formatting

What shapes can I add?

With this release, you can now create:

• Rectangles 
  • Circles (Oval)
  • Lines
  • Arrows
  • Icons
  • Text

Preparing Insight for Union with a Shape

Many times, insights will be a foreground to a shape. If this is the case, make sure you format it accordingly. For Incorta, the default insight background is white. If you intend to use a shape as a background, update the background and borders to 'transparent.' 

The default format of an insight is white and prevents cohesive overlay.The default format of an insight is white and prevents cohesive overlay.

The same insight set to trasnsparent, with a rectangle background and a rectangle title.The same insight set to trasnsparent, with a rectangle background and a rectangle title.

Grouping Layers is Your Friend

As shapes are introduced into your dashboard, the layers panel will undoubtedly become congested with objects. Also added in 2024.1 is layer grouping to better manage layers! Using grouping will make it easier to manage multiple objects in the canvas as a single object. Additionally, groups can be copied, making creating objects with shared formatting easier. 

Before

JoeM_0-1709305263170.png

Creating Groups

Grouping shapes makes it easier to work in your dashboard canvas!Grouping shapes makes it easier to work in your dashboard canvas!

Examples to Inspire

JoeM_0-1709312685740.png

JoeM_1-1709306692889.png

Related Material

Best Practices Index
Best Practices

Just here to browse knowledge? This might help!

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎03-01-2024 11:56 AM
Updated by: