cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tenant Export/Import

RADSr
Captain
Captain

If I need to make a change to a schema I can export, make the change, and then re-import.  ( the change is removing a join which references a child table that no longer exists -- I don't know how it happened as it pre-dates me, but I dislike getting error messages 😉  ) 

If I do the same thing but with a tenant export ( doing that so I can use the Notepad++ "find in files" across all objects ) do I lose anything w/ the round trip?  It looks like the data source credentials are stored encrypted in the file(s) so I shouldn't lose that, anything else to worry about?   

Since I'll have the export ZIP file in case I mess up the XML edits,  is there any reason *not* do this? 

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --
3 REPLIES 3

dylanwan
Employee
Employee

If you just want to restore the previous state of a given object, currently the best practice is to restore the tenant in a separate tenant, and export the given object from the backup tenant.  I will not restore the entire tenant for recovering a specific object.  Tenant level restore will lose all user specific objects such as the bookmark, personalization, etc, as well as all audit info, such as job histories, actions, etc.  

RADSr
Captain
Captain

Thanks - that's a huge caveat and it hadn't occurred to me to spin up a new tenant to import over.   I guess you'd have to modify the export XML somewhere so you don't wind up w/ two tenants of the same name?  

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --

Hi Randy, you can rename the tenant export when you import it, no XML modification necessary. Here's a list of data that is not contained in a tenant export:

• Schema notifications and history
  • Dashboard edit history
  • Schema drafts
  • Schema & table load history and details
  • Low-level details like compaction and parquet versions