cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 question, 1/2 vent - Can I control log file size? I can't download files > 1 gig

RADSr
Captain
Captain

You can't download log files greater than 1 gig.   That tidbit is helpfully in the log files section of the documentation as well as in the message generated when a selected log file is > 1 gig ( screen cap ).

What I am not finding in the documentation is a way to control the file size to keep it under a gig so that its potential usefulness can turn into *actual* usefulness.  

I am also flummoxed at the instruction to "remove some files" from my selection of... ONE FILE.  

As it is now, there is a potentially helpful log file cooling its heels on a server somewhere sipping a mai tai and just mocking me for having the audacity to even try to troubleshoot an issue.

Yes support ticket.  Not holding out hope that I will get ahold of the log file this evening when I'm trying to resolve the issue and wondering if I'm going to have a bigger problem tomorrow morning if executive reports don't go out.

RADSr_0-1676939370583.png

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --
6 REPLIES 6

RADSr
Captain
Captain

Quick update - first, although not quick enough to troubleshoot last evening, support did turn this around quickly with a resolution this morning ( ~ 12 hours round trip ).   So big kudos Rjanish and to the support team for exceeding my expectations!    @FadiB 

Unfortunately, the resolution was to make my log file available for download, setting up a reliance on a support ticket to see logs if they happen to be over 1 gig.   I don't know who to tag for product related issues ( @JoeM  - can you let me know the appropriate "@" ? ) but if there is to be a "hard limit" of 1 gig for a download, there should be a limit on the log size to fit under that limit.    As an aside, I'd be curious about why there's a 1 gig download limit...    

I'll be checking out the mailing issue this morning, although the user reports later dashboard tests have mailed successfully so  ...   we shall see!

-- IncortaOne@PMsquare.com --

Glad to hear that @RADSr and thank you for sharing the feedback.

JoeM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to hear that Rjanish was able to help. Tagging @Prince  for additional visibility.

mike_mascitti
Cosmonaut

This sounds frustrating - if you have access to the server and can edit the log file, you should be able to delete lines based on the timestamp.  I haven't tried this, but the notes on how to delete lines show it's possible to do it with a pattern.  If you know the approx time of the errors you're looking for, you could delete lines from the log file from non-affected hours.  You could delete lines that contain [00: or [01: and you'd remove all the lines from the hours of midnight, 1am... etc..  the command is  :g/<pattern>/d  so example above would be   :g/[00:/d

https://linuxize.com/post/vim-delete-line/